Government of Ireland Postgraduate Scholarship Programme 2023
The Government of Ireland Postgraduate Scholarship Programme is a well-established national initiative managed by the Council and funded by the Department of Further and Higher Education, Research, Innovation, and Science.
Before applying to either programme, potential applicants should thoroughly investigate their eligibility.
Before accessing an application form, all applicants must complete and pass an eligibility quiz on the online application system. Section 8 contains additional information outlining what would render an application ineligible.
• There is no upper age limit for applicants to either programme type.
• All applicants must be affiliated with a recognised Irish higher education institution or research organisation.
• Only applications in either Irish or English will be accepted.
• Applicants must not have had two previous unsuccessful applications to the relevant programme, including strategic partner themes, in order to be considered. This is true regardless of whether the applicant's host institution or research topic has changed since their previous submission.
• The Irish Research Council will not fund research in any of the following areas: human cloning for reproductive purposes; genetic modification of humans that could make such changes heritable (with the exception of research relating to cancer treatment of the gonads, which may be funded); or creation of human embryos solely for the purpose of research or stem cell procurement.
What we offer
a stipend of €18,500 per annum;
a contribution to fees, including non-EU fees, up to a maximum of €5,750 per annum; and
eligible direct research expenses of €3,250 per annum.
How to apply
Potential applicants should carefully read the call documentation to determine whether or not they are eligible to apply. The applicant and supervisor forms are provided in indicative form only for informational purposes. All participants must use the online system to create and submit their forms.
Call open16:00 (Irish time) 8 September 2022
FAQ deadline16:00 (Irish time) 13 October 2022
Applicant deadline16:00 (Irish time) 20 October 2022
Supervisor deadline16:00 (Irish time) 27 October 2022
Research office endorsement deadline16:00 (Irish time) 3 November 2022
Call outcome End of March 2023
Award start date1 September 2023
Please keep in mind that the times listed here are only estimates and are subject to change.
If you cannot find the answer to your question in the call documentation, you should contact the research office at your proposed institution for information and clarification on the call. Any questions that research offices are unable to answer can be directed to email@example.com.